Applying for a TRY DI Grant is simple:1
Verify that you are NEW to DI
If you are not sure if your school, youth group, or community is eligible, you can ask us at director@MIcreativity.org2
Assemble your crew
Determine who would serve as your DI Coordinator, Team Manager(s), Appraiser(s), and other helpers!
Coordinator: The organizer of all DI teams in your school / community.
Team Manager: The facilitator of one or more DI Teams
Appraiser: Volunteer who agrees to attend a virtual training and give their time for a full-day tournament
Other Helpers: Optional roles for helping the team with preparing activities, overseeing team meetings, providing snacks, etc.3
Fill out the application form located at the bottom of this page.4
Set your plan with MI DI
If approved, our Affiliate Director and/or Regional Director will contact you to set an activation plan for ensuring DI is a success in your school / community!5
Bring your team together
Start regular meetings with your DI Team; you can gather in-person or virtually. Each week, students should work on their Team Challenge solution, practice Instant Challenges, and participate in other teambuilding activities prepared by the Team Manager.6
Attend a Tournament
ALL Teams who receive a TRY DI Grant are required to participate in a Regional Tournament in Feb./March.
Deadline to register: Early Feb. 2024
Grant Program will cover most DI Program Expenses
If approved for the "TRY DI" Grant, the following costs / registrations are covered by the Michigan Creativity Association:
- Destination Imagination Team Number ($165 value, per team)
- MI DI Regional Tournament Registration ($75 value, per team)
- Instant Challenge Practice E-Book ($25 value, per team)
In addition to the costs covered by the Michigan Creativity Association, the following items are costs that would be the responsibility of the sponsoring organization (school, church, youth group, etc.) and/or the cost to be shared by the families of participating students:
- Team Challenge + Instant Challenge Supplies (can range from $25 - $150 per team, depending on what items the team chooses to use in their presentation)
- Note: MANY teams spend $25 or less on their Team Challenge presentation by using recycled/free items, borrowing items from school/church, using items from home, etc.
- Most Instant Challenge supplies are everyday items that can be found around-the-house or at a school. Many Team Managers ask families to donate items, or spend ~$25 on items from a Dollar Store to use for the team to practice Instant Challenges.
- Background Check for Team Manager ($25 if acquired through DI HQ's Sterling Volunteers account) - you can also check to see if you have an option for submitting a valid/approved Background Check at:
- State Tournament, only if the team qualifies for the State Tournament by their placement at a Regional Tournament ($150 per team)
- TRY DI Grant Application
A limited number of TRY DI Grants are available, and are reviewed on a rolling basis. Deadline to apply is November 15th and/or when all available TRY DI Grants have been awarded.